TITLE: Senior Formulation Scientist
TYPE: Full-time, Salaried Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director, Laboratory Operations
LOCATION: St. Louis, MO
TRAVEL: up to 10%
We will offer an attractive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience to the successful candidate. To apply, please send your answers to our Questionnaire (https://www.rnaissanceag.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Questionnaire-Sr.-Formulation-Scientist.docx) along with cover letter and resume to:
Via email to:
RNAissance Ag LLC (a subsidiary of TechAccel LLC) is an early-stage startup company developing RNA interference (RNAi)-based agricultural products. We are seeking a Senior Formulation Scientist to develop and implement novel formulation strategies to enable effective delivery of our RNAi products in agriculture systems. The successful candidate will work closely with both fermentation process development scientists to integrate formulation ideas with biomanufacturing processes and with product development teams to understand and overcome challenges of RNAi product delivery and make products more stable and effective. This position will be located in the Greater St. Louis, Missouri, region. The Senior Formulation Scientist reports to RNAissance Ag’s Biomanufacturing Group Lead.
The Senior Formulation Scientist works in a laboratory environment, leading, designing, and executing agricultural formulation development and producing RNAi products at bench scale (1-10 L) to support R&D activities. The candidate should have experience developing formulations for nucleic acids, proteins and/or microbes, and prior experience conducting stability and efficacy studies, physical property tests, and tank mix compatibility studies for experimental formulations.
We are looking for a motivated individual with strong, creative problem-solving skills suited to a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment. This person should have a passion for defining and meeting tangible research objectives in an efficient and rapid fashion. The successful candidate will work closely with TechAccel and RNAissance Ag scientific staff, consultants, and colleagues focused on marketing and sales, finance, and operations. The Senior Formulation Scientist quickly learns new concepts that are specific to our technology and approach, and will be an exceptional team player. This role will contribute to the development and advancement of exciting new products and to the expansion of the company intellectual property estate.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right individual to leverage their knowledge and creativity to make a real and tangible impact on translating innovation to commercial reality and have a significant influence on the trajectory of the company.
• Develop formulations to enable effective delivery of RNAi products to diverse target organisms (arthropods, fungi, and plants) in agriculture systems.
• Develop and implement experimental approaches to evaluate experimental formulation properties including but not limited to stability, pH, density, viscosity, dispersion, and particle size.
• Work closely with product development teams to assess RNAi product uptake and efficacy in targeted organisms.
• Conduct container and tank mix compatibility studies with experimental formulations
• Identify and work with external collaborators to evaluate experimental formulation performance in the field.
• Work closely with fermentation process development scientists to integrate formulation ideas with downstream biomanufacturing processes.
• Support R&D activities by providing formulated samples and materials.
• Plan and manage resources, materials, and logistics required to conduct formulation development activities.
• Conduct research in accordance with or exceeding all relevant Health, Safety and Environmental guidelines.
• Communicate experimental progress and provide well-reasoned recommendations for future work.
• Thoroughly document experimentation and results, write protocols and technical reports, summary updates, scientific manuscripts, and present scientific findings to internal teams and staff, external partners, and at scientific conferences.
• Stay up to date on developments within the field to make recommendations for application of new technologies to improve current processes.
• PhD. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biomaterials Science, Engineering, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, or related discipline and 5+ years post-graduate experience. A master’s degree in a relevant field combined with 10+ years relevant experience will also be considered.
• Experience developing diverse formulation types for delivery as foliar spray, soil drench, seed treatment, bait, and/or trunk injection.
• Experience with formulation and/or processing of nucleic acids, proteins, and/or microbes.
• Experience operating formulations equipment and analytical instruments to characterize formulations.
• Work well both independently, and as part of a team.
• Demonstrated strengths in organization, prioritization, planning & project management.
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
• Flexibility and adaptability to excel in a fast-paced startup environment.
• Results-oriented with a strong attention to detail.
The ideal candidate has at least some of these additional skills:
• Industry work experience is preferred.
• Experience with RNAi-based products.
• Experience with lipid-based or nano-formulation technologies.
• Solid understanding of formulation types typical to the agriculture industry or adjacent industries (such as home & garden, animal health, etc).
• Knowledge of crop protection products and field application practices.
TechAccel LLC (Technology Acceleration Partners) is a development company focused on advancing innovation in Agriculture and Animal Health. Our partner relationships with Global Industry Strategics leverages their strong technical expertise, regulatory infrastructure and the global distribution network. TechAccel co-funds the development, de-risking and advancement of technologies that fill partner portfolio gaps or addressing new adjacencies. Technologies typically are focused on the many technical paths address to the rapidly growing food and animal health demands. Partner companies utilize TechAccel to accelerate time to market. TechAccel also provides R&D services to meet partner surge needs as well as technology sourcing services.
In addition to our strong technology advancement relationships with Global Industry Leaders, TechAccel partners with leading Agriculture and Animal Health Venture Capital firms in advancing emerging technologies found in aggressive and innovative industry start-ups. TechAccel brings a unique Science Advancement role to these relationships in addition to our invested commitments. This dual commitment adds to the enterprise value creation as well as the breadth of potential innovation derived from each integrated relationship.
TechAccel is an equal opportunity employer. All employees are hired, compensated, promoted, disciplined and evaluated without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, military status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. TechAccel strictly prohibits any and all discrimination and harassment based upon an individual's race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, military status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. Any incident of such harassment or discrimination must be immediately reported to the appropriate management level employee.