BioGenerator portfolio company RNAissance Ag is seeking a Research Associate. Read more here.
RNAissance Ag, LLC (a subsidiary of TechAccel, LLC) is an early-stage startup company developing RNAi-based biopesticides for control of important agricultural pests. We are seeking to expand our team by adding a Research Associate to our team located in the Greater St. Louis, Missouri region. The Research Assistant reports to TechAccel’s Director of Laboratory Operations or designee.
The Research Associate will help develop new, more sustainable pesticides that can make farms more productive while preserving biodiversity. The Research Associate works in a laboratory environment, conducting research and development. This role will participate in manufacturing biopesticides by microbial fermentation and testing their function, working routinely with bacteria, plants, and insects.
The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience with general molecular biology techniques, and sterile technique as it pertains to the culture and maintenance of bacterial cultures. Any experience using benchtop fermentation equipment is a benefit.
We are looking for an individual with good problem-solving skills, and a strong desire to learn new techniques. This is an exciting opportunity for the right individual to leverage their knowledge and creativity to make a real and tangible impact on translating innovation to commercial reality and have a significant influence on the trajectory of the company.
The Research Associate shall:
• Support a laboratory that manipulates industrial fermentation strains of bacteria. This will include growing and analyzing bacterial cultures, and performing typical molecular biology tasks such as PCR, minipreps, vector construction, bacterial transformations, and molecular analysis of transformed bacteria.
• Learn how to operate bench-scale fermentation equipment.
• Assist in insect bioassays as required.
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, microbiology, molecular biology, or a related field.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Results-oriented and self-motivated with excellent attention to detail.
• Academic and practical experience in performing molecular biology skills including general cloning, DNA/RNA extractions, PCR, gel electrophoresis, and bacterial mini-preps.
• Basic sterile technique.
• Basic competency at statistics and data analysis.
• Able to follow established protocols and assist with development of new protocols.
• Experienced in a laboratory environment with safe work practices, including handling of bacteria and hazardous chemicals.
• Able to lift and move items up to 30 pounds.
• Strong motivation for continuous learning.
• While most duties will be performed during regular business hours, some work will require a flexible schedule to accommodate time-sensitive experiments.
• Proficiency in standard computer programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
The ideal candidate has at least some of these additional skills:
• Some industrial experience, or experience as a research assistant in an academic laboratory.
• Experience operating a benchtop microbial fermenter.
APPLY WITH RNAISSANCE AG HERE